Sunday, January 06, 2008

Snowbow and Visions of Alaskan Winter


At first glance, I thought it was a sun dog. But sun dogs have always appeared higher up in the clouds. This looked much lower, almost touching the ground - like a rainbow. Only it was certainly much too cold for a rainbow. So I call it a snowbow.



People ask me how hard it is to tolerate the darkness in Alaska in the winter, but with a view like this out of my window, it isn't a matter of toleration, it is a matter of exquisite beauty. How can I not tolerate Alaska in the winter?




And besides, what's not to love about a place where getting up at dawn to see the beautiful sunrise means that you can sleep until 10 a.m.?

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the great pictures. I was browsing for pictures to help me design a quilt with a pattern of Alaskan winter sunrises and came across your blog. I lived in Fairbanks for a long time and the view out my living room window could have been the same as your photos. Now I'm strolling down memory lane.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't ever seem to get tired of the view. Even on cloudy days, it is lovely. I am glad the pictures brought back memories for you.

    ReplyDelete