Monday, February 04, 2008

Quotes

I subscribe to A Word A Day by Anu Garg and I enjoy the words. But in all honesty, I enjoy the quotes even more. I like how they make me think about something. They are almost like poetry of ideas.

Here is today's quote:

............................................................................
We all have handicaps. The difference is that some of us must reveal ours,
while others must conceal theirs, to be treated with mercy. -Yahia
Lababidi, writer (b. 1973)
............................................................................

This is a quote that could easily appear on one the the GT groups that I belong to. Gifted people, and yes, I must use that "G" word, since it is the professionally accepted term for people who are fast and/or deep learners, are one of the groups that must often REVEAL their handicaps in order to be accepted. I have frequently taken part in conversations where, at some point, someone in the group will say, "You are so smart, I just can't keep up with you!" After such an outburst, the only way to get the conversation going again, or at least the easiest, is to admit that you might know a lot about X (whatever was being discussed), but you are terrible at Y (something equally valued - optimally something the blurter is good at).

People who are good at sports have to do this sometimes, too. "Yes, I am good at basketball, but I just don't get my math homework."

I guess it comforts us to think that, in the greater scheme of things, while some people might be good at X, Y, and Z, they aren't good at A, B, or C - to think that things might be marginally fair or equal, if we look at everything. The problem is, we really know that it isn't true. There are some people who are good at just about everything they try. And some people who truly aren't very good at anything.

But we can ignore reality, as long as people are willing to play the social game of pretend.

2 comments:

  1. You have revealed my own quotation to me in a new light. Thanks for that ... (I wonder, am I revealing my handicap;)

    yahia lababidi
    www.janestreet.org/press

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would be interested in hearing more about your views. My guess, from the "light" comment is that you are partially sighted or blind.

    ReplyDelete