Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Favorite Books

This meme came on my news feed on Facebook today:  

In your status, list 10 books that have stayed with you in some way (they don't have to be the "right" book, or great books of literature, just books that have affected you). 

It made me think of this: I was subbing for a 6th/7th grade teacher on Monday and the assignment was to have the students list 5 - 8 of their favorite books and to tell why they added them to the list. While the students were at their specials classes, I wrote up my own response to this and enjoyed thinking about why they were on my list. So here is a bit of what I was thinking on Monday.


1) Ender's Game. This book has to rank as one of my all time favorites. I am fascinated by gifted children, schools, and moral dilemmas and this book has all three. Both adults and children have to confront their demons.

2 and 3) Native Tongue and The Judas Rose. Focusing on women's issues and linguistics, this book also touches on things that deeply affect me. While not a school environment per se, the methods of learning and constructing languages are intriguing to me.
 

4) Anne of Green Gables. This is a comfort book for me. Whenever I long for a simpler, and simply GOOD story, I turn to this book. It soothes me to see people striving to know each other and to live well.
 

5) Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone. Yes, the British version. Again, there are some of my favorite elements - gifted kids, schools, and moral dilemmas. There is also the added linguistic/historical element with the names of places, spells, and characters.
 

6) Diary of a Wombat. I take this book with me when I sub. It is accessible to young children with the simple humor, and the unfamiliar animal intrigues them. Older children understand more of the sardonic humor of a different viewpoint that turns the tables on humans.
 

7) Infinity Hold. This book takes me away from familiar themes into the realm of moral dilemmas that are society-wide. The idea that there can be vastly different approaches to law was/is appealing to me.
 

8) The Hobbit. I taught this book once and the teaching of it opened my eyes to a structure that I had missed - the alternating chapters of light and humor with those of dark and dangerous events. Since I am not fond of dark and dangerous, the light and humorous parts make the whole journey more satisfying - a respite.
 

9) It's a Magical World. Gifted child dealing with life; large cat, what's not to like? One of the best cartoons ever.
 

10) Dealing with Dragons. I wrote a musical about this one. Feminism, tongue-in-cheek humor.

No comments:

Post a Comment