Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Good Day

Yesterday, I had a good day subbing.  I can't say that for every day, but some days make it worth it.  The class was respectful and, above all, NICE.  It was an enjoyable day.

One of the highlights of my day was a young boy.  As a sub, I have no way of knowing if this student is identified as gifted, but I could see it as if it were written in bold letters across his forehead.  He was working on a project about American legends for his reading work.  [And I might say, as an aside, that this might, in fact, be one of the very rare instances that I could actually see differentiation occurring for a gifted student in the classroom.]  He had a list of American legends that he was making a booklet about.  We talked briefly about the ones that he had listed.  He told me they could be either real people or not real people and he had included several that were rather interesting, including one Native American legend.  I made one additional suggestion, Sacajawea, and that was all the time we had.  But it was good.

I had met his teacher when I first arrived there - she was going home sick - and she seemed very nice and competent.  I am glad this young boy has such a good regular teacher. 

No comments:

Post a Comment