Sunday, September 04, 2011

The Colorado Department of Education, Again

And now, I have found out that my application for endorsement in computer information science will be or has been returned to me.  The reason: Other.  I don't yet know for sure what the reason is, but I think it is probably because there was one last form to fill out - a form that was supposed to be filled out by me, vouching that I have all of the relevant skills, and then co-signed by my school administrator.  The problem is, that I don't have a school administrator, since I don't have a regular job.  As a substitute teacher, I don't have anyone who can vouch for me.  I may have a master's degree in computer science, and recent coursework, and past experience, but I don't have a current administrator.

And, now I understand the Department of Education's strategy.  They are trying to reduce their workload by making it a) extremely onerous to even file for an endorsement and b) put so many obstacles in the way of endorsements that most people just give up and decide to do something else.

And I am just about at the point where I want to give up.  I have subbed for 4 days this school year, 3 for one teacher and 1 for another.  Maybe I will just stick with subbing.  There are advantages to subbing:  I can still attend my World Affairs Discussion Group at the local branch library, which I have greatly enjoyed.  And I don't work myself into a frenzy, as I have done with past full time jobs.  There are disadvantages:  I don't actually get to know kids very well and my influence on them is minimal.  But the biggest advantage is that I won't have to deal with the Colorado Department of Education any more.


No comments:

Post a Comment